Five Guys Bunless Bacon Burger
I have to admit when I first started eating Paleo, it was difficult for me to stay the course (okay maybe this still happens). Some days I wasn’t prepared, some days I didn’t have enough food on hand when I was on the go and some days (or most days) I was just “too busy to eat healthy.” Sound familiar?
Being too busy can wreck havoc on your healthy eating intentions. It’s just too easy to grab
a chicken shwarma from Sultan’s after a 90-minute bikram yoga session food when you are on the go and time is not on your side.
HOWEVER, as much as I meal plan, prepare for the week or bring my entire fridge to work, sometimes it’s just not enough. When this happens, I want something STAT.
So what do I do? When someone else is preparing my food, I try to make the best possible choices because, let’s face it, we can’t be perfect all the time.
Here is a list of food options that I would reach for if I was
1. Hero Burger – Burger without the bun. Wrapped in lettuce with the following toppings: red onions & tomatoes with pickles and mustard on the side. Done.
2. Five Guys – Again, burger or bacon burger without the bun. Wrapped in lettuce. Tomato, onions and green peppers with pickles and mustard on the side.
3. Any Sushi Restaurant – Sashimi or Salmon/Avocado hand rolls without the rice. Yes, I do bring my own coconut aminos 🙂
4. Booster Juice – Tropi-Kale, Spinach is in it (substitute acai juice for water) or any of their fresh pressed juices
5. Any Salad Bar – Stack up your salad! I usually ask for Balsamic Vinegar/Olive Oil/Lemon as the dressing. Or I bring my own.
6. Breakfast Spots – Eggs benny, hold the bread and hollandaise sauce, with smoked salmon and spinach! Or your basic bacon and poached eggs.
7. Chipotle – Carnita salad bowl with veggies, salsa (there are 3 you can choose from) and lots of GUAC!
When you are hungry, you can get creative! Healthy eating does not have to be so challenging! Sorry this is a tad late, but I hope this helps some of you who are taking my 30 Day Reset Challenge (9 more days to go — you can do it!) 🙂
And of course, I can’t leave you without a recipe share!
Last night I made a real quick hash that consisted of whatever was left in my fridge. This usually happens on Thursday or Friday when groceries are running low. Sometimes my best meals are the ones that I put together on the spot. Who knew?
Sweet Potato Hash aka End of Week Hash
– 1 medium onion, diced
– 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
– 5 stalks of celery, chopped
– 1 green apple, diced
– 1 tbsp of coconut oil
– salt, pepper and parsley flakes, to taste
1. Preheat skillet or pan over medium heat
2. Melt coconut oil
3. Saute onions for 3-5 minutes
4. Add remaining ingredients and cook or 10 minutes or until softened
5. Season with salt, pepper, parsley flakes (or whatever you feel like)
6. Serve with eggs! Or a burger… or anything really!