No Sugar Update: During the holidays (or should I say all of December), I indulged in some non-paleo goods. The result? My face broke out. My forehead, chin, cheeks! It wasn’t nice at all. After my yoga class today, another practitioner complimented my skin and asked what my skin care routine is. My answer: Bikram Yoga, Water and Paleo. I am just 11 days into my 100 day real food challenge and 7 days into the 21 day sugar detox and my skin has cleared up again and it feels great. This is my post-bikram face: Un-caked. Un-edited. Raw. No moisturizers, just lip balm. One of many reasons why I follow a Paleo lifestyle. Real food heals!
The no-sugar has been challenging but I have noticed some small, yet positive changes. Short term pain, long term gain! My taste buds are definitely changing and I had a couple of headaches early on in the week, but everything feels stable now. I have been trying to get creative with my food on this detox. Made these little lovely baked grapefruit with cinnamon coconut whip. Delightful.
Baked Grapefruit with Cinnamon Coconut Whip
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 12 minutes | Yields: 4 servings
- 2 grapefruit
- Optional: toppings (crushed nuts, unsweetened shredded coconut, roasted cacao nibs)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut grapefruit in half and place on parchment paper lined baking sheet
- Sprinkle grapefruit with cinnamon
- Top with toppings (optional)
- Bake for 12 minutes
- Top or smother with coconut whipped cream
Cinnamon Coconut Whipped Cream
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Place coconut milk in fridge and leave over night
- Place a steel mixing bowl in the freezer for 15 minutes
- Remove coconut milk from fridge, and scoop the coconut cream only (save liquid for smoothies) and place in the frozen bowl
- Add cinnamon and whip together!