When I started eating Paleo, I depended on Larabars as a quick snack for those times I couldn’t eat and needed some energy (for example: at work). Larabars can get pretty expensive, so I started making my own version.
Here is a recipe for “Larabar-like” power bites that are not only cost effective and yummy, but only uses 5 ingredients! I brought these to the Raptors vs Nets Playoff Game 7 yesterday to share with some of my 30 Day Paleo Challengers who had some amazing willpower! Still recovering from that heartbreaking loss 😦
This is my friend Kelly & I on Day 4 of our challenge, keeping it Paleo at the game amongst fast food. Willpower! Fail to plan, plan to fail! 🙂
Back to the powerbites… These powerbites are Whole 30 compliant (for me), Paleo & Vegan Friendly.
5 Ingredient Lemon Coconut Power Bites
– 1/2 cup of raw almonds
– 1/2 cup of cashews
– 1 1/2 cups of pitted dates (semi-soft)
– 1 tablespoon of lemon juice (up to 2 tablespoons if you want it more tart)
– zest of one lemon
– 1 1/2 cups of shredded unsweetened coconut
*Note: you can substitute the nuts with any combination you like (almonds, cashews, pecans, macadamia, hazelnuts, etc), just make sure it equals 1 cup.
1. Place almonds and cashews in a food processor and process until you get small pieces (I used my Nutribullet)
2. Place dates, lemon juice and lemon zest in a food processor/blender/nutribullet and process until dates are broken down
3. Place nuts, blended down dates & shredded coconut in a bowl and mix until combined well
4. Grease a 9×9 baking dish or pan and press mixture into a baking pan
5. Top with shredded coconut
6. Chill in the fridge or freezer until firm
7. Once chilled, cut into squares or bars. Alternatively, you can also press them in a mini muffin tray for a two-bite snack, as seen below!