Or congee. Or Chicken Ginger Porridge.
Congee was recommended by my Naturopath to help with improving my digestion. Decided to go with what I know aka my mom’s recipe – a Filipino version.
This also happens to be a one pot meal. Yummy!
Arroz Caldo / Congee / Chicken Ginger Porridge
- 2.5 cups white rice
- 8 – 10 cups of water (may need to adjust depending on the rice you use)
- 1 lb of bone-in chicken thighs, cut in cubes (use the bones, too)
- 3 tsp sea salt
- 2 to 3 tbsp of grated ginger (i really like ginger!)
- Optional Toppings: scallions, lemon juice, coconut aminos or tamari, hard boiled eggs, sautéed garlic (I mix in these additions before I eat)
1. Rinse rice at least once
2. In a large pot, combine rice with water, sea salt, chicken and grated ginger
3. On medium-high heat, cover pot and cook for 40-45 minutes, occasionally stirring.
4. Cool before serving
5. Serve with additional toppings, if you like!
- You could half the recipe if you don’t want to make a lot!
- I prefer my arroz caldo thicker. Add more water if you like it thinner.
- Eat this for breakfast or before bed. So good!
Let me know if there are any other Filipino Dishes you want me to remake!
Thanks for passing by!